By Nicole Fetterly, RD
These refried beans (made without lard and mindful of salt content) are a healthy comfort food. Use them in Huevos Rancheros and quesadillas, on nachos and as a filling for burritos.
- 2 Tbsp Earth’s Choice Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & minced (optional)
- 2 x 398mL cans Earth’s Choice Pinto Beans or Black Beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup low sodium stock or hot water
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1 tomato, finely chopped (optional)
Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add garlic and jalapeno (if using) and sauté for 2-3 minutes until golden, being careful not to overly brown the garlic.
Add drained beans. Mash while gradually adding stock or water until desired consistency is achieved. A few whole beans are nice but you want to get a nice, spreadable mixture. Use a bit more water or stock if the mixture sticks to the bottom of the pan. It will thicken more as it cools. If using, stir in cumin, tamari and tomato.